|Posted by RCI fans on February 27, 2014 at 1:35 PM||comments (0)|
Reports of an abnormal vibration on board Azamara Journey, has lead maintenance crew to discover a damaged propeller.
Image: Azamara Club Cruises
Further inspection of the propeller, forced Azamara to cancel the current sailing and has since had to cancel the 3rd March cruise.
The Azamara Journey is operating as normal, but sailing at a reduced speed. The ship is expected to arrive in Kyoto on February 28th, where passengers will be met by Azamara’s President and CEO, Larry Pimentel, and Bert Van Middendorp, Vice President of Operations.
When the ship docks on 28th February, guests will remain on board the ship until March 2nd, where they will be flown to Shanghai and provided hotels for the night.
The Azamara Journey was originally scheduled to disembark in Shanghai on March 3rd, but this sailing has had to be cancelled, so that maintenance can be carried out.
|Posted by RCI fans on January 31, 2014 at 5:20 PM||comments (0)|
Norovirus is a common and ever increasing concern for cruise travellers. But what exactly is it, what are the symptoms and how can we prevent catching it?
Norovirus is a mild gastrointestinal illness, causing nausea, vomiting and diarrhoea. It is usually short lived and is easily treatable and is very rarely serious.
One of the main reasons Norovirus is such a concern is because it is highly contagious. The virus can easily be transferred to other people by physical contact, such as hand shaking and contact with surfaces, like handrails, elevator buttons and utensils. On land, Norovirus is less of a concern, but because on a cruise ship, there are thousands of people in a compact space, the virus can be transferred much easier.
Most people will have nausea, suffer from diarrhoea or feel the need to vomit. Some people will also experience headaches, fever and stomach cramps. These symptoms last around 1-3 days. It takes around 48 hours for the Norovirus to affect you.
It is important to drink lots of fluids, such as water. This will help to stop dehydration. The ships doctor may also prescribe medicine for symptoms such as vomiting and diarrhoea. It is important to note that antibiotics are not effective against Norovirus.
Cruise ships are regularly inspected for cleanliness by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention institute. These measures are in place to prevent possible outbreaks, however these measures are not always enough.
You can reduce the risk of catching Norovirus by frequently washing your hands with soap for 20 seconds whenever eating, drinking, smoking, using the bathroom or coughing and sneezing. Hand Sanitisers are always available around cruise ships and can usually be found near eating venues and other facilities, such as the theatre.
|Posted by RCI fans on January 30, 2014 at 12:40 PM||comments (0)|
A crew member on board Celebrity Cruises' Celebrity Constellation has fallen overboard in the Caribbean Sea.
The Miami Coast Guard is currently searching for the missing crew member, believed to be Inyoman Bagiada, 45, from Indonesia. He is said to have fallen overboard in the early hours of Wednesday morning near the Yucatan Channel, around 20 miles off the Cuban coast. Bagiada was discovered missing at 10:30am.
The cruise line says a pair of shoes were discovered next to a deck railing, and a review of CCTV footage showed “a person going overboard.” Officials said the ship’s location at the time the person went overboard was then reported to the Coast Guard. A spokeswoman for the cruise line said the man had already been in the water for a few hours once camera footage revealed what had happened.
|Posted by RCI fans on January 1, 2014 at 8:10 AM||comments (0)|
A passenger has gone missing on board Independence of the Seas off the coast of the Cayman Islands.
A 65-year old man, from Canada, was reported missing on Tuesday morning by his wife, shortly before the ship was due to dock in Grand Cayman.
A full search of the ship took place and playback of CCTV footage has found no results. Search operations by the coast guard, were also conducted until the evening without success.
According to the police, the mans wife sai they went to bed at around 1am on Tuesday, but when she woke up at 8am, he was not there.
The Freedom-class vessel is on a 6-night cruise from Fort Laurderdale , which departed on Sunday.
This is the second passenger in the last week to go missing from a Royal Caribbean ship. On Saturday, a man jumped overboard on Adventure of the Seas near San Juan.
|Posted by RCI fans on December 29, 2013 at 11:45 AM||comments (0)|
According to Cruise Law News, a man has reportedly fallen overboard on Adventure of the Seas.
A passenger currently on board at the time expalined the situation on the website; "Man overboard Royal Caribbean Adventure of the Seas. Close enough to San Juan to be getting AT&T service right now.
At about 8:45 - 9:00 PM, the Captain came over loudspeaker and announced that a man had "jumped" overboard. They also said they believed he was in his mid 20s. About 30 - 45 minutes later they announced the arrival of a Coast Guard helicopter. I can verify. When the announcement was made I went on deck and witnessed the ship turning around. They launched life preservers with lights attached as well as two rescue boats. There were spotlights at first and brighter ones joined later. There was talk spreading throughout the ship that people had witnessed the pulling the spotlights out of the theater or ice rink."
"I wrote that at about 11 last night. We are now heading to port. Captain told us there would be a 4 hour delay and that he extended condolences to the family. No more information at this time."
The man is believed to have jumped from deck 6.
The image below shows Adventure of the Seas' search route which took place between 8pm and 3am.
Royal Caribbean informed guests joining the ship in San Juan, not to arrive until 1pm.
Instagram user, philippedesr, who was onboard last night posted this image of the rescue operation.
Royal Caribbean spokeswoman, Cynthia Martinez, said that the captain of the Adventure of the Seas stopped the ship, turned around and alerted authorities after a passenger reported seeing the person going overboard late on Saturday.
She also mentioned footage of the incident was captured by the ship's cameras.
The Coast Guard has identified the passenger as 26-year-old Tien Phuoc Nguyen, who was on the cruise with his family.
"We will continue to search until we determine that all probability of survival has been extended," Coast Guard spokesman Ricardo Castrodad said.
|Posted by RCI fans on December 11, 2013 at 12:05 PM||comments (0)|
The world's largest passenger ship, Allure of the Seas has reportedly left lifeboat number 1 behind in Nassau after a mechanical failure.
A passenger currently on board told the Cruise Critic message boards that Allure of the Seas was over 2 hours late leaving the port of Nassau due to an issue with the lift cable of lifeboat number 1.
One of the cables which hauls the lifeboat in and out of the water appeared to have snapped whilst crew were conducting a lifeboat drill.
After speaking to the Royal Caribbean headquaters, shipyard and Bahamas authorities, Allure of the Seas left the lifeboat behind, which the ship will be picking back up on it's way back, once they have repaired the cable.
Cruise Critic member, Lukkie, posted a picture of the lifeboat left tied up alongside the dock...
|Posted by RCI fans on December 7, 2013 at 5:15 AM||comments (5)|
Rhapsody of the Seas has been delayed for 12 hours after the ship struck a reef in the South Pacific.
According to claims, the ship was caught in a very violent storm, which caused the ship to come into contact with a nearby reef, close to Champagne Bay, Luganville and Vanuatu.
The ship was able to continue to Luganville under her own power where the ship had to be delayed for 12 hours while repairs were made.
|Posted by RCI fans on December 5, 2013 at 12:45 PM||comments (0)|
Royal Caribbean's Freedom of the Seas, has performed a medevac of 3 passengers on Tuesday.
The emergencies, which were unrelated, forced the ship to skip a call in St. Thomas. The ship then later headed for San Juan.
The first medevac occured when Freedom of the Seas was anchored off of Royal Caribbean's private island, Coco Cay. The other two medevacs took place after sailing from Coco Cay to Nassau.
Royal Caribbean wished the affected guests "a speedy recovery."
|Posted by RCI fans on November 12, 2013 at 12:35 PM||comments (0)|
Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd will join humanitarian relief efforts in response to the damage caused by Typhoon Haiyan in the Philippines.
Since the storm, Royal Caribbean has helped crew members attempt to communicate with relatives in the Philippines.
"Our hearts go out to everyone affected by the storm," said Richard Fain, chairman and chief executive of Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. "More than 12,800 of our employees call the Philippines home. We want to do everything we can to help them, their families, and their neighbors heal from this terrible tragedy."
Contributions can be made online at www.worldvision.org/royalcaribbean.
|Posted by RCI fans on November 5, 2013 at 2:55 PM||comments (0)|
Venice will begin to limit large cruise ship traffic in the Venice lagoon.
The local goverment has announced that form November 2014, ships larger than 96,000 gross tonnes will be banned from the lagoon.
The controversy over large ships sailing along the Giudecca Canal has been going on for some years. It is only after recent protests by Venice residents and environmentalists, that the government has started to take action.
Environmentalists are concerned about the damage caused by increasing cruise ship traffic to one of the world's most iconic and magical destinations.
The Italian Prime Minister, Enrico Letta, met with transport and culture ministors as well as the governor of the Veneto region, Luca Zaia. He approved plans to limit or shut down cruise ship traffic in parts of the Venice lagoon and near the city's famous Saint Mark's Square.
In a statement, the mayor of Venice, Giorgio Orsoni, said "Finally the trend towards gigantic ships in the lagoon has been turned around. We've had enough of these mega cruise ships just metres away from San Marco, from now on there will be clear limits on the size of ships that can enter Venice."
From January 2014, cruise ship traffic in front of Saint Mark's Square will be limited. November 2014, will see cruise ships over 96,000GT completly banned from the canal. Cruise ships will have to avoid the Guidecca Canal and sail around the lagoon to reach the port in the north of the city.